2023 LONG RANGE PLAN
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- Rhea Walker – President
- Sherrie Reilly – Vice president
- Mary Ann Holden – Secretary
- Mary Harrington
- William Forsythe
Dansville Public Library is a community center dedicated to providing a gathering place for residents to explore, to meet, to learn and to relax.
In support of this, Dansville Public Library is committed to:
- Serve as a community gathering place and information base
- Provide resources to satisfy community needs for popular materials and recreational reading
- Foster personal growth and development
- Goal: Collection Development and Maintenance – Develop and maintain a quality collection of materials in various formats that reflects the needs and use patterns of the community.
|Continue to maintain and update the current collection of materials. Survey library users as to their informational and recreational needs in order to develop a library collection that is relevant to the community.||Ongoing||Director/Staff|
|Relocate select collections to promote ease of access and encourage use of library materials.||Spring||Director/Staff|
|Continue to improve labeling of book spines and shelves to provide better access to materials for patrons, volunteers and staff.||Ongoing||Staff|
|Continue to monitor overdue and replacement items.||Weekly||Staff|
- Goal: Facility – Present a well-maintained facility that is comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, and accessible to all members of the community.
|Begin creating a building manual with general information regarding the physical building.||Autumn||Director|
|Ensure on-going maintenance schedules.||Ongoing||Staff|
|House Committee to meet annually to assess library interior||Annually||House Committee|
|Building & Grounds Committee to meet annually to assess physical building structure and grounds.||Annually||Building & Grounds Committee|
|Continue to monitor Shepard porch and column concerns.||Ongoing||Director/Board|
- Goal: Staff – Maintain and develop a well-trained professional staff and volunteer base to assist library users.
|Establish job descriptions for staff and volunteers.||Ongoing||Director/Board|
|Update procedures manual to assist staff and volunteers with day to day operations.||On-going||Director/Staff|
|Provide opportunities for staff development.||On-going||Director/Board|
- Goal: Financial Support – Ensure adequate financial support to enable the library to fulfill its mission and attain both its long range and short range goals.
|Continue to monitor and evaluate public funding sources to meet budget needs.||On-going||Director/Board|
|Pursue grant opportunities to accomplish the libraries mission and goals.||On-going||Board/
- Goal: Governance – Maintain a board structure, composed of committed people with diverse interests who will strive for the wise and efficient management of the resources and facilities used to fulfill the mission of the library.
|As the need arises, seek qualified Trustee candidates with expertise in areas such as finance, investment, technology, stewardship of the building, community outreach, etc. and retain a list of potential Trustee candidates for future consideration.||Ongoing||Board|
|Provide orientation materials (i.e. Long Range Plan, recent financial statement, previous 6 months of minutes, etc) for new trustees.||June||Director|
|Review and revise if necessary the library by-law.||July||Director/Board|
|Ensure each library policy is reviewed and revised, if necessary, at least once every five-years.||Ongoing||Director/Board|
|Review mission and create new long range plan in conjunction with OWWL Library System 2023 Long-Range Planning Cohort.||March – November||Director/Board|
- Goal: Programming – Provide a wide variety of programming for all age groups in the community.
|Develop a programming schedule along with a yearly calendar of events for planning purposes.||Ongoing||Director/Staff|
|Provide opportunities for library patrons to initiate or suggest programming opportunities.||On-going||Staff|
|Work cooperatively with other community agencies and organizations to meet our programming goals.||On-going||Staff|
|Continue to provide a Summer Reading Program for children and young adults.||Spring – Summer||Staff|
- Goal: Public Relations and Marketing – Inform library users and non-users of the multitude of resources, programs and educational opportunities at the Dansville Public Library.
|Maintain and enhance a fully interactive library web site.||Ongoing||Director/Staff|
|Maintain library monthly newsletter in the local Penny Saver. Write additional articles as the need arises to publicize library events and services.||Ongoing||Board/ Director/Staff|
|Work with local schools to produce programs, to display artwork, poems, or with other projects.||Ongoing||Director/Staff|
|Develop and publish a brochure to publicize the Library’s services||Spring||Staff|
- Goal: Technology and Equipment – maintain and expand the equipment and technology which enables patrons to not only access the library’s holdings but access additional information and resources outside the library as well as enabling the staff to work effectively and efficiently.
|Continue to provide training to staff on Evergreen and Libby.||Ongoing||Director|
|Provide materials to increase patron awareness of available resources and services.||Ongoing||Director/Staff|
|Review demand for computers and other technology to budget accordingly.||Annually||Director/Board|
|Continue to work cooperatively with OWWL Library System staff to maintain both staff-used and patron-facing technology and equipment.||Ongoing||Director|
|Develop and implement a schedule for replacing outdated computer hardware and updating software.||March||Director/Staff|